Friday, December 14, 2018

Sound Piece - Ceramics


Artist statement: 
For my sound piece I created a piece inspired by Elisabeth Kley and her incredibly detailed 
but delicate sculptures. The negative space incorporated into each piece offers a sense of delicate stability. The structures are created from a fired earth element - red clay - however appear to be as light as a feather. This delicate appearance was something I wanted to flow throughout my sound piece. As I was working on the piece I became very musically inspired by the fluidity of the structure. 
To complement this style I had a musician friend of mine created a piece of music that he was inspired to make after viewing this piece. This piece he created musically illustrated the sound piece in a beautiful way. The highs and lows of the custom music inspire the viewer to move their eyes throughout the piece.

Research:
My friend who created the sound piece music is from a band called Speech Patterns.
It's a rock band that creates emotionally charged ballads that shake the listener. Their edgy style is was drew me to collaborate with them. I was intrigued by their edge style mixing with such a delicate ceramic piece. They are a young band that is looking to grow and receive recognition. I am a young artist who is looking to do the same. Creating music is a hobby for the group but they hope to go full time with it. Collaborating on a fine art level will be an intriguing line on their resume that will express their openess for exploration in the world of music.












In process photos





No comments:

Post a Comment