Thursday, April 27, 2017

Geometric Installation - Map Relief

FINAL




IN PROGRESS



Measurements: approx. 3' height x 6' length x 7" depth
Materials: sharpie, black duck tape, thick white paper, foam board  

Statement:
I was extremely inspired by a Japanese artist who created a similar geometric installation to mine. She used all different objects and shapes to create this illusion of 3D and 2D pieces coming off the wall. I wanted to recreate this same sort of illusion with my own wall installation. I used the thick white paper and cut out a multitude of different triangles, ranging in size and shape. I did the same with the foam board and also began adding different several patterns to each piece to start creating the overall appearance of movement. I used the arch in the art building as my guideline for the formation of the installation. The arch created a whole new level of movement to my overall piece. I also used a variety of triangle sizes, especially super tiny ones near the very top of the installation. This was to give the illusion that the triangles could be coming from either direction. They were either flowing up and disappearing or coming down and meeting you eye to eye. This added to the overall meaning of the piece which was to represent life and how you never really know what direction it is going to go. You may want to plan and map all of life out but in reality you cannot predict what is going to happen. 



No comments:

Post a Comment